Wednesday, August 29

I'm here and safe!

I am starting writing this in the airport in Istanbul, Turkey! I have an hour layover here before getting on the plane to head to Entebbe. The first 10 hour flight went smoothly enough, but its nice to have a layover to move my legs a bit - except navigating the airport has proved slightly difficult because everything (including most of the announcements) are in Turkish so I can understand next to nothing. But I found my gate number so here I sit getting ready to board. Internet is a little shaky, but I think (hopefully it went through) I sent a message to Stephan telling him to tell dad I made it here! I'm hoping he got it and someone at least knows I'm safe:)

And after a very long journey I am sitting in the hotel on Entebbe eating breakfast consisting of coffee, fresh fruit, and a nutrigrain bar packed from home. Our flight from Turkey to Entebbe had a stop in Kigabe, Rwanda, but we remained on the plane for about an hour. I'm not really sure where time went wrong, but even with our stop we were supposed to land in Entebbe at 2:50 am, but we managed to leave Rwanda at 2:45 - and I seemed to be the only one that really minded this, I guess this is all part of "Africa time" that is going to take some getting used to:) Needless to say we arrived way late, closer to 4:00, and I was very nervous that the guy who was supposed to pick me up at 2:50 had already gone home. Then I went to pick up my bags and only one came, and it should be noted that the one that is now missing is the one with all of my clothes in it..good. So I had to leave Abdul (my driver) waiting even longer as I gave them all my info to hopefully find my bag. But around 5:15 I checked into the hotel and about 5 minutes later there was a rooster crowing out my window haha. I got about 2 hours of sleep and am now back up and waiting for Job (my driver to Ekisa) to come get me at 10:) Can't believe that this is actually real, that I am in Uganda and will be meeting everyone this afternoon!!

I would love to not only have you read about my life but also hear from you too, either via email (brb9p@virginia.edu) oorrrrr if you want to send me snail mail :) my address is:
Ekisa Ministries
Attn: Brecklyn Bodkin
PO Box 817
Jinja, Uganda 

Formatting kinda sucks.. Sorry about it, slightly technologically challenged:)

3 comments:

  1. Brecklyn, it is good to hear that you have made it safely to Uganda and Ekisa. I am excited to read more about your journey and experiences at Ekisa. I will pray that you get your luggage soon. God bless you and everyone at Ekisa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh Breck! This makes me so happy :) I'm sad that I'm not coming to the same country as you anymore, but it's still kind of exciting that we'll be on the same continent for the semester. I won't really have internet for the next few weeks, but I already can't wait to check in when I can and see what you've been up to! Love you, and hope you get your clothes soon!

    ReplyDelete