Wednesday, August 28

But what is there not to love?

Two days ago I was walking home by myself to this.


And this.


And I was caught off guard that despite various discouragements these past couple of weeks, with a views like these, what is there not to love? I was very convicted about my heart becoming cynical and hardened toward God’s work and goodness, and was reminded that He shows us His grace daily – whether through an incredible sunset, the smiles and laughs of the beautiful children I get to work with daily, the hug and encouragement of a friend, the truth of His Word, or the answer of a prayer. And it is by this grace, that completely saturates this world, that God wants us to see, acknowledge, and break out into a run towards Him.

Then last night I was reminded in a book that I was reading, The Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning, when he quoted a rabbi who said “Never once in my life did I ask God for success or wisdom or power or fame. I asked for wonder and He gave it to me.” I think I am quick to overlook asking for wonder, so boy does it knock me off my feet when the Lord opens my eyes to it!  

This has been my prayer for today. Lord, I am asking for wonder. I want to be amazed by your works. I want my trust in you to surpass everything else. I want to take in your wonders and your grace that you give me daily. Amen.



Our neighborhood kids playing soccer in the field
 
"How do we live in the presence of the living God? In wonder, amazed by the traces of God all around us."
The Ragamuffin Gospel



No comments:

Post a Comment