Monday, December 16

Tis the Season



Well here you go for anyone who hasn’t already seen this video – which I’m assuming is very few of you considering how viral this has gone over the past several weeks. Yes, even over here in Uganda I’m able to keep up with some things that are going on at home:)

Like so many people, I watched this video and heard them sing (Emily already downloaded their album, which is wonderful) and was completely on board with their renditions. However, this song, “Little Drummer Boy”, stood out to me in a newer light than it ever has before. Just in listening to the lyrics, I was so reminded about how much we each relate to this little boy in the song.

In this song, a little boy is told about a baby king who he should go see and bring gifts to honor him. Standing before baby Jesus, this little boy says he doesn’t have anything to bring him, so he will play his drum for him; he “played [his] best for him.”

I am so much like this little drummer boy. What do I have to offer Jesus? Nothing, yet everything. I don’t have crazy gifts to offer him, but my life I can live to glorify him. Like the boy who played his drum, I can offer my talents that I have been given to honor and glorify him. This is humbling because whereas this doesn’t seem like much this is what he wants. He wants us to sit humbly at his feet, acknowledging our deep need for a Savior; a Savior, born as a baby, who lived a perfect life, and who died on the cross to give us eternity with him.

This is the Christmas message. This is the weight of the season and the joy that we find in the celebration of the birth of Jesus. And this is what I have needed to be reminded of.

Since Thanksgiving, when we set up our Christmas tree and started playing Christmas music, we have been trying to get in the Christmas spirit. We have put on Christmas movies in the background of everything we’ve been doing, had a Christmas craft night last week, have had music playing in every room of the house all day everyday, wrapped all the kids presents last night, made Christmas cards with some of the boys, and have been practicing for our Ekisa Christmas play. And still in this 80-degree weather, I’m having a hard time and feel like I’m just pretending it’s really Christmas time. But reminders, like this song, point me back to the meaning of Christmas and how grateful I am for my Savior, whose birthday I celebrate on Christmas day, despite how warm it is outside or where I am in the world to celebrate.

“Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord.” Luke 2:11

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could send you some snow (******) thats the best I can do on that. I love what you wrote and the video is amazing. Thank you for sharing with everyone and reminding us all that we can be the little drummer boys here where we live. Love you Brecklyn, AD

    ReplyDelete