Wednesday, January 1

2014


Well, like so many people, on this first day of 2014, I am sitting here reflecting on the past year. And I am blown away.

I started the year back in Charlottesville finishing up my last semester of college, student teaching in a wonderful classroom with eight precious, little boys.

I lived by myself, housesitting for five months, with a dog and three cats – for most of the time anyway.

I got involved in a Community Group through Portico Church, and was a part of awesome fellowship. I got baptized, and became a member of the church. The first time I’ve done this by myself.

 Through many prayers and back and forths, I decided to go back to Uganda, and despite Dad’s reservations, bought a one-way ticket.

I got to celebrate with one of my best friends, and be part of such a beautiful wedding and incredible day!

I graduated with my Masters’ degree in Early Childhood Special Education from the University of Virginia.

I left for Uganda on June 1st, and apart from some minor (major?) snags at the airport, made it there safely. Such an incredible peace being back in a country and a place that seemed to grab a hold of such a big piece of my heart. And the smiles of these kids, so incredibly wonderful!

I began my role as Adoption Coordinator, something so new to me, but so humbling being able to allow the Lord to work through me despite inadequacies I felt. We had good meetings, bad meetings, encouraging, discouraging, but through all of it, Jesus continued to comfort the questions I had, reminding me that while I’m fighting for His children, He already knows the plans He has for each of them.

Holly came to visit me, and I got to show her my life in Uganda. Such a wonderful visit with a wonderful friend.

I saw Jason go home with his family. With his brother and sisters and aunt. He now has a forever family. A child, who has lived in an orphanage his whole life, now has a home.

I met some great people coming and going through Jinja, but great friendships that challenged me, but pointed me to the cross. I am thankful for those.

I have gotten involved in great community here, with others who are here longer-term, and able to invest in each other’s lives. Such a blessing to walk alongside others who are here serving and following the Lord’s call for their life.

I got to work with our two amazing social workers with our second domestic adoption case, see an amazing woman pursue and desire a child, and become a mom.

My parents came to visit! I never thought that my Dad would be here, but they both were, and I couldn’t be more blessed to have been able to share all of this with them. I got to experience new parts of Uganda with them, like raft the Nile and visit Sipi Falls. And we got to celebrate Thanksgiving together.

I got to be a part of Amy’s story, whose Mom had been lied to and manipulated, but who continued to fight for her daughter. Amy was resettled with her mom right before Christmas.

I celebrated Christmas in Uganda. Bittersweet not being home, but I love that it is now part of my story, having gotten to celebrate the birth of our wonderful Savior with these kids that I love so dearly.

I brought in the New Year with friends, eating our belated Christmas dinner, watching Ugandan fireworks, playing games, and complete with champagne.


I know I forgot things, but looking back on the last year, these things stand out. I have spent seven months of the last year in Uganda, something I don’t think I ever would have planned or thought. But I am so incredibly thankful.

It’s hard for me to even think about what 2014 will bring – but I’m so excited. Thank you for taking the time to follow me in this journey that the Lord is taking me on. I know He has big plans for this next year, bigger than I can imagine and better than I could plan.

So here’s to the start of 2014!

Love from Uganda from Sam and me!

No comments:

Post a Comment