Sunday, October 7

Homesick?


Saturday I went to the Nile Resort to get internet and a little alone time just to spend reading and such, and during that time I was going to write a brief update, but I was slightly overcome with feelings of homesickness and just really couldn’t get anything down. Even in the midst of it all I am still loving it here, but I was just struggling to get anything “on paper” that didn’t sound sad. So I forfeited the idea and just thought I’d get around to it later, which I’m doing now.

This past week, I don’t want to say was typical – because I don’t really think such a thing really exists here – but I just felt like it flew by and it took seemingly a lot of effort (as in having to go back and read in my journal) to think about what we did last week. Here’s a brief update of some of the more interesting things that happened last week (keeping in mind that we still have school everyday):

- Monday: During naptime I set up a hammock on our front porch between two of the pillars and read for a solid two hours. This has become a favorite “naptime” activity for me because it is so quiet and so relaxing in comparison to the craziness, which I also adore, that happens every other second of the day. But I know when my time has come to an end when I start getting little pokes in my back, eyes peaking over the side, or little voices saying “Auntie B, also me.” :) Then that night we all went over to Pastor Terry’s house for dinner, and I know I talk about good meals a lot, but I feel they are few and far between so when we have one I feel it has to be noted! We had tacos, which were delicious – and Mexican twice in a week is a great week for me!

- Tuesday: Nothing oh so exciting happened today except that I got a package and a letter in the mail! Granted they were both from my parents, but it was still awesome to get! The package was so fun, and filled with lots of my favorite, much missed, American treats – dark chocolates (yay!), French vanilla coffee creamer, instant coffee, peppermint tea, green tea with peach, luna bars, and some others! Good day!

- Wednesday: Jessica, one of the other volunteers left today, which was sad to see her go. Her mom was here for 10 days before, so not only was it fun to have a mom figure around, they are both some of the sweetest people I have ever met, so just both of their company was a joy in and of itself. Her mom brought a ton of pumpkin things with her – everything from pumpkin bread mix to cookie mixes to canned pumpkin to pumpkin marshmallows – so this morning we made homemade pumpkin chocolate chip pancakes! We “skipped” school and just had a fun morning in the kitchen! This was Jessica’s third time to Ekisa, and seeing the impact that she has made with these kids, our Mammas, and just the community at large here in Jinja is amazing. It was also hard to see her good byes, especially to the kids, because I really can’t imagine having to do this in about a month and a half.

- Thursday: Today Mary Grace (another volunteer) and I took two of our boys, Jason and Jamil, into town just to get them out and about! It was so cute and you would have thought we made their lives! We took bodas into town (my burn is healing slowly but surely) and the boys were on cloud 9 :) Then we went to a little coffee shop and got them sodas and cookies, also such a highlight, then walked to the supermarket, then got bodas home. It was so fun to walk around town with them and just see them on such a high! Then for our afternoon school activity we were doing cooking and making chapattis (flour, salt, and water, fried with oil in a pan), but a very typical Ugandan dish. They turned out alright and we ended up making them later for dinner too.

- Friday: I went to Kampala with Erika (our nurse), Josey (another volunteer), Hilda (one of our young Mammas) with her 6-month old son Joven, and Sam, and Zuena. Sam and Zuena both had doctors appointments, and Joven we just wanted to get checked out by the doctor there. It was such a long day. I know I mentioned appreciation already for American medicine, but this reaffirmed it all the more, as well as for American hospitals and American time. We left our house around 8:30 a.m. and got home around 10:30 p.m. (and it’s only about 1½ to 2 hours to Kampala), and the entire day we essentially spent waiting for one thing or another – Zuena’s blood to be drawn, Sam’s x-ray, Joven’s scans, results for all of them, doctors to read them, another hospital/clinic for Joven, you get the idea. But long story short, Sam’s foot is healing so well, there is no more infection in the bone, we don’t have to be soaking it anymore and he needs to start walking on it :) Zuena’s blood work came back with some hesitations, but some medications were altered so hopefully it all work out and get better. Prayers for this little girl are still needed. On our way home, Sam fell asleep on my lap (don’t know if I’ve mentioned that seat belts are nonexistent) and it pretty much made my life. Right before he fell asleep we were all laughing and playing around and then he said, “Auntie, I want to sleep,” I said ok, and he laid his head over and went to sleep.  This little boy is almost too much for me:)

- Saturday: Already gave you an idea of what happened early Saturday, but it did get better. I’m not really sure what caused me to get so homesick, maybe thinking about Anna’s homecoming, UVA football games, the fall weather, or just not being able to pick up the phone and call home at will, but I was just caught up in the fact that life is continuing to go on at home. I know this sounds super self-centered, but I was just realizing I am missing a lot at home, and then was just hit with the fact that I wasn’t prepared for these kind of emotions. I have been here more than I month and yesterday was the first time I was brought to tears in thinking about home. I know it’s fine, and probably completely normal, but I just don’t think I was ready for these kind of feelings and it really caught me off guard. So needless to say, most of the day yesterday I was in a bit of a funk. Then last night Mary Grace and I went over to Pastor Terry’s to watch the Virginia Tech game (remember how I said he like VT – go figure) but it was nice to get out of the house and get to watch some football. I won’t lie and say I wasn’t that upset seeing them losing:) haha. But when we got there it was just Pastor Terry and his wife Debbie, and he was asking us about our days and how we were doing and I mentioned how I was feeling a bit homesick, and he told Debbie to stand up and she gave me a “mom hug” and then he gave me a “dad hug” and let’s just say both of them were much needed!

- And today, Sunday: It’s been a great day - church, lunch, and then I went to a Bible Study that started today through church. Kind of like a community group, but I’m really excited because it’s 7 weeks long so I get to be here for the entire thing and it’s not like I’m coming in the middle or leaving early. And I got to talk to Mom, and Anna briefly, but for about 40 minutes on the phone and that made my weekend:) I’m pretty blessed with such an amazing family, and especially one that supports me in being here and absolutely everything I do!

Sorry this was super long, but it’s a bit of an update on life right now!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Brecklyn, I can only imagine the strangeness you must have felt when you realized that you were having feelings of homesickness. Just wanted to let you know that we send love and hugs your way. While I know that you love every minute of your journey there, you are missing the life that is here. There were many many times when I lived in Georgia that I was homesick. Glad you got to see VT and get 'parent' hugs, I am sure that helped. You are really not missing much with UVA football, they are struggling. I know that talking with Mom and Anna helped too. You may be miles away but you are still in our hearts and prayers. Love you. AD

    ReplyDelete