Monday, October 15

Rainbows and Promises


We saw a rainbow yesterday, and I think it made my day. I love lots of things in the sky - definitely have an obsession with stars, love seeing the beautiful colors of sunsets and sunrises, and really like seeing rainbows and being reminded of the promise they represent. 

"I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth... Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth." 
Genesis 9:13,16

What a promise that reminds me truly how faithful and trusting our God is in how He forever has kept, is keeping, and will keep His promises.

Here are some other promises I cling to, especially in the midst of trials and hardships. 

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."
Joshua 1:9

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him and He will make your paths straight."
Proverbs 3:5-6

"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. I will be found by you."
Jeremiah 29:11-14

"I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you."
John 14:18

"And we know that in all things the Lord works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose."
Romans 8:28

"And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it."
1 Corinthians 10:13

"And so we will be with the Lord forever."
1 Thessalonians 4:17


When I was 16 I remember going to the hospital with my family to say good bye to E-ma (my grandma for those of you who didn't get to know her), and I remember being overcome with feelings of not knowing what to say, and even when we left, not knowing if I had said everything. Looking back, I don't think our goodbyes are ever going to feel sufficient, for it's always going to hurt to actually say good bye when the person is no longer here. On Saturday I had another one of these moments - except instead of saying goodbye to my grandma, I walked into the hospital room to say goodbye to a six year old beautiful little girl. Zuena was admitted back into to the hospital on Friday and then later transferred to another hospital that has a better/more advanced heart care center. On Saturday, Erika, who was with Zuena at the hospital, didn't know how close the end was so a few of us went to the hospital just in case. I think it was one of the hardest things I've ever done, just because it was so hard to see this beautiful little girl, whose life has always been so full of joy, energy, and spunk, lay there in so much pain/discomfort and hooked up to so many wires - and then me having to selfishly think about saying good bye. We've been told that she looked better on Sunday in comparison to the other night which maybe is good, but at the same time it's so hard seeing her the way she is and knowing that sometime, probably sooner or later her little body is going to shut down. I wrote about Zuena earlier in my trip, and prayers were answered. She came home for a little more than two weeks and was back to her joyful, playful self. I pray expectantly, knowing God has the power to heal her, but don't want my prayers to be selfish if it is the time He is calling her home. Please pray for those whose lives this little girl has touched and whose lives she has been a part of far longer than mine. I know many people here are struggling, as am I, in clinging to the promises that God has with us - but I am thankful for His reminder in yesterday's rainbow. I am also thankful we have His Spirit for when "we do not know what we ought to pray for, [He] intercedes for us" (Romans 8:26). 


Other updates on the past week:
- Last Tuesday celebrated 50 years of Ugandan independence! We had quite the Independence day celebration complete with the killing and cooking of 14 chickens, other wonderful Ugandan food prepared by our Mammas, signs made by the kids in school, and a huge paper mâché flag, also made by the kids in school. I think every other person here killed a chicken, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it - maybe next time:)
- Mary Grace's (another volunteer) mom and aunt came last Wednesday, and has been so fun having a couple mom figures around. They are staying at a pretty nice place in town with hot showers and Mary Grace and I have taken advantage of these a couple of times:) They are also just so funny in being here and have made a blog while for their week trip to recount the stories of "Laverne and Shirley" haha. So many of their interactions remind me of my mom and Cathy, so it's been fun having them here!
- School is still going really well and it's so fun and wonderful to see the progress of some of the kids! It's all very slow, but being able to see small steps of progress and the excitement of a child, makes the small steps so worth it:)

Lots of love sent to so many at home!

2 comments:

  1. Lots of love, I mean tons of love sent back to you as well. I know Ema is so very proud of you. Sometimes no words are even needed. Hugs. AD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brecklyn, your love and dedication to the children is wonderful! So glad that you have had the wonderful and blessed opportunity to get to know them, and they you! I am certain that you have enriched their lives, just as much as they have enriched yours. I know that they absolutely love you! We love you too!

    ReplyDelete