Sunday, October 28

Out on the Town

So this past week was a little bit different in terms of scheduling and school. In a bit of long term planning for school, Emily wanted to go by the British system of terms and half terms and such, and this week was 'half-term' so we kind of took the week off for our kids that do school at the house and used a little more time for planning for our next term. We still did some fun things with the kids, just to keep a bit more of a structure to the day, but we also had a bit more time to hang out with individual kids and do fun things!

Our kids love to go to town, it doesn't matter to do what, but just the thrill of putting on 'smart clothes,' riding a boda boda, getting a soda and maybe a sweetie, and spending a little one-on-one time with an auntie, is such a treat! And since being here and taking the kids on a couple of different outings, whether to church, a walk around the block, to town, or just riding in the car, it usually is as exciting for me too:) On Tuesday, I took Sam into town and it was precious! I had been telling him since he had been back from the hospital that when he was walking we could have a date to town, and despite him walking for the past couple of weeks, we just got around to it. We rode a boda into town to a coffee shop called The Source. I got lunch, and he got a soda and a cookie, which he then proceeded to finish before I even got my food, then wanted to eat all of mine - mind you he already had his lunch at home! While hanging out we also got to Skype with Mom and Dad, and even Anna for a bit, and it was so fun! It made me so happy that Mom and Dad got to meet him and talk to him for a little bit. Granted he was acting so shy and hardly talked, but I also think the concept of Skype was a it foreign haha. Then we walked to the supermarket and then got a boda home! Fun day #1 on the town!

Wednesday, Mary Grace, Josey, Michelle (all other volunteers), and I took Debra and Rachel into town! Like Sam's outing, we skipped out on nap time, got the girls in their smart clothes (meaning dressing up in church clothes equivalents) complete with headbands and new pink shoes(!), loaded Debra's wheelchair in the car, carried Rachel out, and drove into town. Rachel was in awe; the entire drive there she was silent taking absolutely everything in, looking out every window. Then walking into The Keep she was the same way, completely quiet and calm, and very unlike the Rachel we know from home. Debra was all giggles and was so excited to be there, and couldn't wait for her soda and chocolate cake (her absolute favorite)! We sat at some couches outside, so we saw everyone who walked in, and it didn't take Rachel long to warm up. Soon she was greeting every person who walked in, calling every girl "Mamma" and every guy "Uncle" or "Sabo" (meaning "sir") in her crazy loud, deep voice. While we were slightly embarrassed we couldn't help but laugh and just let her enjoy her time out as well. Debra laughed at everything Rachel said and between the two of them, we were all laughing, having a great time. Fun day #2 on the town!

Then on Friday, a couple of us aunties took a day for ourselves on the town and went to Kampala. We wanted to go to Friday Craft Market in Kampala, so we just decided to go. Four of us got up early and caught a matatu (aka large taxi bus) that cost us 5000 shillings ($2) to get all the way to Kampala. It was about an hour and a half drive, and was quite the experience - my first time taking public transportation besides bodas. Getting there, we then had to catch a boda to the craft market, which the driver lied about knowing where it was and took us a bit longer than expected to get there. That experience was pretty funny as well - riding a boda in Kampala is MUCH more intimidating than in Jinja. This time I was actually a bit shared for my life. Michelle and I shared a boda, and at a stop light (first stoplight I've seen in this country, and was actually impressed it was being respected and followed) another boda driver stopped beside us and told me "I need your number" when I said no he didn't he then told me he will call me, I said no again and we both just turned away - second time I've had to lie about being married to a boda driver haha. It we finally made it there and it was so fun! So many crafts and fun things to buy, I'll write more about it later, but we had a great time, and made some good friends with some of the vendors. Erika really wanted to see a movie, she's been here about 4 months and is staying a year, and has really been wanting to see the new batman. So that was planned after the market and we get there and they say it's no longer playing, despite what it said online. Erika was very annoyed and it was one of those "I hate this country" moments haha - they certainly don't happen very often, but things like that and then usually the hospital trigger them:) However, instead of a movie, we went and ate at this place called Cafe Javas, and it was great! Also, going on during this time, we found out Zuena was getting discharged from the hospital, definitely an answer to prayer in her coming home! So we hung out at Cafe Javas and waited for Job, our driver, to drive to Kampala to take us all home! Fun day #3 on the town!

And then yesterday, three of us took Walter and Sam to the pool! Not quite the town, but quite the day's journey, and definitely a fun treat and great day spent outside with some of our boys! Also, pretty special because Walter has been asking since I've been here to go to the pool! However, it was a time ton getting there. First we told them the night before that we wanted to take them, but to keep it quiet so the other kids wouldn't get upset. Well the first things I hear yesterday morning are Sam and Walter, "Auntie, pool?" Sad thing was that the sky was dark gray and around 10 it was a full blown thunderstorm, so the pool wasn't looking like a great option for the day. But what do you know around 11:30 the sky was blue and the sun was out, so we decided we'd head to the pool after the boys ate lunch. I've never seen them eat so fast and then were running around the house in their underwear because they couldn't find bathing suits to wear. They were so excited and so stinking cute - Sam looked liked Alfalfa from Little Rascals running around in his underwear with his little arms and legs and big belly:) Once we were all together we called two bodas to drive us to the Nile Resort, which upon getting there we found out it was closed, then decided to go to a resort called Kingfisher, which was on the other side of the Nile, about a 20 minute boda ride, but absolutely beautiful! Also funny, I was on the boda with both boys - Sam in the front, then the boda man, then Walter, then me - I was lucky I didn't fall off the back! But we finally got there and the bow loved the water! Walter reminded me of a kid in our family, absolutely  loved the water, wanted to play in it at all times, wanted to go where he can't stand, jump where he probably wasn't allowed, and just didn't want to get out! Sam, on the other hand, wasn't quite as bold, and I realized once we got there, I don't think I had ever really even asked Sam if he had ever been swimming. But he had a good time too, and it was still a lot of fun having Sam's death grip of a hug around me at all times so he wouldn't drown - even thou most of the time he could stand:) We ended up leaving a bit earlier then expected because Sam's foot started paining him (the Ugandan way of saying hurting) and we think he is in another sickle-cell crisis because he is still in a ton of pain. I pray we are able to beat it without it getting so bad. But that was essentially our fun day #4 on the town!

Other things that happened last week:
- I drove the car for my first time - they drive on the opposite side of the road so that was fun!
- I had to switch anti-malaria medicine because my other one was giving me really bad heartburn and I think an ulcer in my esophagus (if that's possible) basically I couldn't really eat for most of the week, but I am really hoping I don't get any side effects from this one I'm now on.
- I got a letter from my Aunt Debbie:) and it had fall leaves in it!! Probably completely against customs coming into Uganda, but made my day and now they are hanging on my wall! We all miss the fall here!
- But with that said, I found out that a coffee shop in town just released their pumpkin-spiced latte!! (clearly owned by Americans) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment